In addition to being a Council of Architecture requirement for schools of architecture, there are strong reasons for the presence of an element of a Field / Outdoor study in the curriculum. It is important that we remember the spirit of those reasons, in order to make the Related Study Programmes (RSP’s) more meaningful.
THE BASIC INTENTION
To see the application or manifestation of the knowledge, that is gained in the classroom, in real life situations – through meticulous Observation, Inferences & Conclusion.
To experience architecture in the whole scheme of things – the environment, society, inhabitants, and then the architectural/constructional aspects as being derivations thereof.
To learn otherwise from Life, through adaptation, exposure & experience. While being an academic excercise, the absence of the “classroom” contributes to this “other learning”.
The RSPs are conducted every year, in the month of November-December, as compulsory, in the first three years of the architectural course They are referred to as RSP 1, 2 & 3.
The number of students is, therefore, the full batch is therefore full, i.e. 40 (forty) students, boys and girls, from different parts of the country, largely from Gujarat.
Since each RSP lies exactly between the semesters, the intent of each has an immediate obligation towards the semesters preceding & following it. There is a good chance that the design studio problem of the following semester might be located somewhere at the RSP place, to benefit from the students familiarity with the place.
RSP 1 :
SENSE OF PLACE
– Way of Life & Built Forms as strongly emerging from the PLACE itself.
– Reflection of the relation between the way of life and corresponding built form.
– Choices seen as limited to / resulting from the particular local environment in
terms of Climate, Topography, Materials, Skills & ensuing Activities
RSP 2 :
– Studying the relation of a Unit, a Cluster & a Neighbourhood
– Part & Whole relationship within the fabric in a settlement
– Nature and characteristics of Open spaces in relation to the Built spaces (& vice versa)
– Nature of Construction – and reasons for the choice.
RSP 3 :
– A Priori design – executed as per an already conceived design (indicative of planning)
– Institution – standing for certain values and ideals, expressed in building.
– Larger Order and contribution of each Element chosen, with internal rhythms-sequences.
– Execution Order – chronology of conception, design, construction, finish.